m2
m3

Algonquin Historic
Commission

End of an Era
1853 - 1856

1855

The schooner was first sailing vessel to appear at Duluth in 1855.

Schooner ALGONQUIN arrived at noon from LaPointe, Copper Harbor, Michipicoten. With the ALGONQUIN, Nettleton’s two teams for the mine.

The schooner was first sailing vessel to appear at Duluth in 1855.

Schooner ALGONQUIN arrived at noon from LaPointe, Copper Harbor, Michipicoten. With the ALGONQUIN, Nettleton’s two teams for the mine.On July 19, 1855, the ALGONQUIN changed ownership to AlexanderDavidson who was managing owner and master. Last document as a merchant vessel was issued July 19 to Captain Davidson who was the owner and captain.

The little ship served Lake Superior for the 18 or 20 years while her smaller contemporaries were being retired or sent down the St. Marys Rapids to sail the lower great lakes. The ALGONQUIN was backbone of regional commerce until the time when other craft were brought over the portage and the locks were finally opened, in 1855. Steamers from then on came from the East bringing distinguished people of the day. The ALGONQUIN spent her remaining days hauling coal and lumber or fishing.

©2016 All rights reserved. This page and other pages in the book are property of the
Algonquin Historic Commission and its creator Donald V. Purn. Pages may be copied
for eductional uses only. Pages or any part can be reproduced for profit enterprizes.

1835 - 1838
Pre Schooner
Year

1839 - 1841
Algonquin
Built

1842 - 1844
Great Copper
Rush

1845 - 1852
King of
the Lake

1853 - 1856
End of
an Era

1857 - Now
Final
Resting Place

1853

The ALGONQUIN changed owners in Michilimackinac District to Hugh H. McCoullock, Wiliam P. Spalding, and Charles C. Childs each having 1/3 ownership on November 17, 1853. The all the partners lived in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. Hugh H. McCullock was the ship’s captain. Then month laster on December 17, 1853 in Mackinac District the owners exhanged hands. New owners were James Carson who organized one the first companies which mined copper54 on Lake Superior and Henry R. Close of Ontonagon County, Michigan. James Carson became the schooner’s Master.28 Mr. Carson was the first settler in Ontonagon and for years had extensive mercantile business.54

Captain Davis of Superior, Wisconsin employed the ALGONQUIN as fishing smack until she met her final demise, sinking due to old age and cracks at the Quebeck dock in Superior, Wisconsin

SuperiorHarbor

1854

The ALGONQUIN was wintering at Sault Ste. Marie on January 19, 1854 while the company considered lost when it went to La Pointe, Apostle Islands but unknown to the owners the vessel returned to Sault Ste. Marie due to the conditions on Lake Superior. Sheldon McKinght was the owner at this time.

While Captain McGregor of the ALGONQUIN, a storm came up when he was near Ontonagon in early March. The storm drove the schooner back to Sault Ste. Marie, a distance close to 220 miles. The captain stayed at the helm for 12 hours during the storm which brought commendation of all his peers.

Change owners to J. T. Whiting and J. D. Angus, J. D. became the captain on June 1, 1854.

On June 10, 1854 R. B. McLean who became one of the first settlers on the North Shore which became Duluth, Minnesota, arrived at Superior, Wisconsin with forty other passengers on old sailing schooner ALGONQUIN with captain Angus were R.B. McLean, John I. Post, Miss Laura Smith, Thomas Kocher, George Eaton, Ste3ve minter, Doc Stockton, Frank Garrault.66 The settlers came almost three months before the Treaty of LaPointe allowing the territory to be settled.

During the end of October 1854, a company purchased supplies and put aboard the schooner Algonquin and started for the head of the Lake Superior for the site which is now the city of Duluth. The ALGONQUIN reached the area in first week of December. The bay was closed closed by ice. The ALGONQUIN was compelled to land one half mile east of Minnesota Point and use open boats to take their goods to the main land.

Armstrong

Benj. G. Armstrong

MichiganLocks
LocksMap

1856

On May 8, 1856 the first European family coming from Superior City, Wisconsin, the Hanleys, arrived and settled in the north side of Washington, Street in the town of Bayfield near Apostal Islands. The arrived on “ALGONQUIN” which was the first vessel to visit the Bayfield dock that was prepared by an advance party.

1857

The vessel was charted by captain J. J. Hibbard to carry supplies to Burlington Bay, north of Lake Superior

MapWis

1835 - 1838
Pre Schooner
Year

1839 - 1841
Algonquin
Built

1842 - 1844
Great Copper
Rush

1845 - 1852
King of
the Lake

1853 - 1856
End of
an Era

1857 - Now
Final
Resting Place

m6


Library

Origin of Name
Algonquin

First Village
Board Minutes

Crimes/Murders

Historic Sites

Civil War Era

Auto Races
Hill Climbs

Algonquin Maps

Disasters
Floods, Fires,
...

Pioneer History

Organzations

Historic Calendar

Famous People

Churches

Immmigrants

Family History
Obituraries

Test

Questions or Inquiries