Algonquin Historic

Nunda Herald, November 20, 1902


George E. Morton

Yields to King of Terrors and Crosses the Dark River


Died, at his home in Algonquin, Ill., Sunday, Nov. 16, 1902, George E. Morton, aged 30 years.

George E. Morton is dead. We shall not see his kindly face again, but the example of his life, his devotion to home and duty, his untiring industry, his unassailable honesty, the memory of his cheery voice and hearty greeting, will make us better for having known him.

He was born on a farm which now lies within the village of Algonquin, June 27, 1872. He was the oldest child and only son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Morton, Jr. He grew to active boyhood and robust manhood in the town of his birth, and every living creature was his friend. As a boy he shared in the sports and studies of his comrades, and was never known to do a base act. He was graduated with honor form the Algonquin public school, and afterward attended Drew's Business College at Elgin.

For several years he has been associated with his father in the management of the Morton Hotel, livery and transfer business, and was considered a business man of unusual ability. He was popular with his patrons and possessed a very wide acquaintance, not alone in Algonquin, but in the neighboring villages and cities as well. "Dick" Morton was known well and was well loved. He won respect and confidence, and merited both.

Fortunate though he was in business and social life, he found his greatest happiness in the society of his loving wife, a woman of rare qualities of mind and heart, who was Miss Kittie Doig, and whom he married June 19, 1901. Their home life was ideal, and their happiness increased until there came the touch of death's icy hand.

Sunday, Nov. 2, he was prostrated by illness, which the attending physician pronounced typhoid fever. For two long weeks he battled as a strong man fights, beating back the awful enemy. Of sturdy physique, the disease could in him a worthy foe, but day by day his vitality ebbed, and on Sabbath morning he entered the door to that life which has no end.

His father and mother are bereft of their only remaining child, and his wife mourns and will not be comforted. But they do not weep alone. Friends - and everyone who knew him was his friend - deeply and sincerely sorrow with them.

On a sadly beautiful day of the dying year they carried his body up the hill and laid him to sleep in the cemetery. The services were held at his late home in the Morton House, Tuesday afternoon, at 2:30, Rev. George Pratt, rector of the Episcopal church, officiating. The Plymouth male quartet of Elgin - H. W. Estabrook, S. H. Haldeman, D.W. Russell, C.H. Gregor - sang the sweetly solemn songs over his bier, and a perfect wealth of floral tributes attested in a a feeble degree the esteem in which he was held.

Among the floral designs were a pillow from the M. W. A., a pillow form the I.O.O.F., gates ajar from the K.O.T.M., white chrysanthemums from the R.N. of A., roses and pinks from the L.O.T.M., lyre from Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Ford, broken wheel and anchor from the business men, roses from Mr. and Mrs. D.W. Thomas, wreath from Miss Mary Pauba, bouquet from James Doig, bouquet from E. C. Andress of Joliet, bouquet from John Munshow, and other flowers from other friends.

Deceased was a member of Cary lodge No. 360, I.O.O.F., Algonquin camp No. 490, M.W.A., and Algonquin tent, K.O.T.M. Members of these orders to the number of one hundred, in full mourning regalia, attended the funeral, and presented a sad and solemn spectacle as they marched to the cemetery. Prior to the services they met in M.W.A. hall and marched to the Morton House, and after the burial marched form the cemetery to the hall, where they disbanded.

Relatives and friends from Nunda, Cary, Carpentersville, Huntley, Elgin and Chicago attended the services. Charles Wandrack assisted by V.N. Ford, had charge of the funeral, but the spacious Morton House was filled to overflowing.

The pall-bearers selected were tow from each of the fraternal societies and were: I.O.O.F., Joseph Pichen, Dan Warner; M.W.A., C.C. Lobeck, Archie Eldredge; K.O.T.M., George Helm, J.D. Sensor.

An immense concourse of people accompanied the body to the cemetery, where the final words of the sacred Episcopal burial service were uttered by the rector.

George Morton loved his fellow-man. No hour was so busy that human want or sorrow could not make its plea; no subject so occupied his attention that the cry of distress was unheeded. The appeal that touched his heart opened his purse. The children knew and loved him, and often as he passed along the streets the little one would be seen clinging to his fingers.

He took forethought for those nearest him. When his only sister, Lottie, was ill, he accompanied her to the west , in the hope that she might regain her health. She died June 6, 1901, and he was left - his parents' only child. In behalf of those dear to him he carried $6,000 life insurance - $3,000 in the Woodmen, $2,000 in the Maccabees and $1,000 in the New York Life.

there was a breezy, vivid healthfulness about George Morton. He will be greatly missed. His day is ended; his sun of life has set beneath and beyond the horizon of our vision, but there lingers the memory of his good deeds and his good life and it will abide with us for many, many days to come.

In the quiet city of the dead all that is mortal of our friend reposes in that last long slumber into which we too must fall. Rest to his ashes and peace to his soul.



Origin of Name

First Village
Board Minutes


Historic Sites

Civil War Era

Auto Races
Hill Climbs

Algonquin Maps

Floods, Fires,

Pioneer History


Historic Calendar

Famous People



Family History


Questions or Inquiries