December 10, 1908
ELMER A. FORD
Pioneer Resident of Algonquin is Summoned by His Maker
CHILDREN MISS "UNCLE ELMER"
Was a Man of Honesty and Integrity,
Who Loved His Neighbor As Himself
In the death of Elmer A. Ford, Algonquin lost one of its oldest and most respected citizens. He born Sept. 28, 1845. His parents Hiram and Lucy Ford, came form New York state and settled about two miles west of Algonquin, in what has ever been known as the Ford district. Here the subject of this sketch was born and grew up with the surroundings of the earlier settlers of this section, and developed those sturdy qualities and ambitions which marked his later life. The frugal and industrious habits of pioneers was his portion in early life, and as his father died before Mr. Ford reached manhood, his life was one of work and responsibility during many of his early years.
On March 14, 1871, he was married to Miss Jessie Penney, a daughter of near neighbor, and in 1872 the couple moved to Algonquin village where they have ever since resided, with the exception of about one year in 1877 and 1878, when they made their home in Carpentersville. In 1878 Mr. Ford engaged in the meat business in Algonquin village in company with Wm. Smith, and remained in this business for several years.
He assumed the management of his parents' farm and finally purchased it from the other heirs and for many years devoted much of his time to the development and improvement of it until it became a dairy farm of more than ordinary productiveness. A few months before his death he sold the farm, and completed the necessary details of the sale but a short time before his sudden death.
Elmer A. Ford as a man was much loved and respected. Growing up as he did when the settlers of the country were more scattered than at present, the social value of neighbors as friends, was a marked trait of his character. And he was ever ready to sacrifice time and effort to assist his friends when sickness or trouble distressed them. He was a lover of children and many know him and loved him as "Uncle Elmer." Of late years, since he developed his village residence, he became more decidedly than before a great lover of flowers, and his time was given his grounds, when not otherwise occupied. Roses were his favorites, and he ever had one for his lady friends and favorite little girls when they passed by or visited him.
Being a native of the immediate neighborhood and knowing all the earlier settlers he had a large circle of friends and acquaintances who sincerely regret his loss. He leaves besides his wife, two brothers, Henry B. Ford of Elgin and Vernon N. Ford of Algonquin, and one sister, Mrs. George. E. Dodd of Algonquin, to mourn his unexpected death.
(Dr. Wm A. Nason)